CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Roasted chickpea snacks

So from time to time, other bloggers I love post some recipes they've made, so I may be doing the same, if a recipe astounds me or is an old family favourite that some people would like to be let in on.

Today's recipe is roasted chickpea snacks. Bethany Actually posted on Twitter about making these the other day, and linked the recipe. Now I'm a self proclaimed hater of all things that are hot-spicy. I love me some flavour-spicy but hot-spice can suck it. Right after I suck back a pitcher of water if it hits my tongue.

So needless to say, I was a bit skeptical about putting curry powder on perfectly innocent chickpeas. I mean, what did they ever do to me? Then I looked at the recipe and watched both of the authors children taunt me by eating and loving them. If kids could stomach them, so could I, dang it.

So I made them. And they are DE-LISH.

The original recipe link is right here. This is not my recipe, all credit to whoever came up with these delicious morsels. But either way, I've copied it below. Variations would definitely work, and I want to make ranch ones next. Yummity yum yum.

Roasted Chickpea Snacks
Total time: about 1 hour, most of it unattended roasting time

Ingredients
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, drained again, and spread on paper towels to dry
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt or half as much table salt (more if there's none in your curry powder)

Heat the oven to 400. Heat the oil in a small pan over low heat, then add the curry and garlic powders, and stir until fragrant. Turn off the heat, pour in the chickpeas, and stir gently with a rubber spatula until they're coated with the oil and spice. Spread them in a foil-lined rimmed baking pan and bake for forty-five minutes to an hour, shaking the pan every ten minutes or so. When they're done, some will be brown and crunchy and some will be golden and still a bit soft in the middle and, ideally, none will be totally black.

Make them, enjoy them, remember that chickpeas are healthy and scarf em down, and report back to me with any amazing variations.

3 comments:

bethany actually said...

I'm glad you tried them and liked them! Also, thanks for the link. :-)

Lost In Splendor said...

I still don't know about these.

The Grown Up Teenager said...

@ Bethany Actually - Any time. You're also on my blog roll. *points to the right side of the page*

@ Lost in Splendor - They're better than you think. I baked mine a little longer than recommended because when I tried one, it was still soft on the inside, which wasn't pleasant. But if you bake them long enough, they're crunchy and good. :)